Winter is just a week away. Connecticut winters typically mean consistently low temperatures, bitter cold winds, ice storms and abundant snowfall. With the cold winter months ahead it isn't too late to winterize your roof now. Following this simple checklist will ensure that your roof is ready for the winter elements.
This effective checklist can, in some instances, be carried out by homeowners, but if you are not comfortable to perform these tasks, then give us a shout and we'll help you to prepare for a safe winter.
- Check for any damaged, loose or missing shingles and have them fixed or replaced as needed.
- Check all the vents, flashing, skylights and joints of the roof.
- Check the valleys and peaks of your roof. These places are susceptible to leaks from severe weather conditions.
- Thoroughly clean your gutters and downspouts to make certain that they are draining properly and there are no leaks. Be certain to remove any type of debris, leaves, twigs accumulated during the fall that can block the drains and cause water, rain or melting ice to spill over the roof.
- An inspection of your roof’s underlayment system which should be done by a professional will assure that it is properly equipped to protect from ice dams, harsh rains, moving water, and any other water related issues or problems.
- Removal of any branches on trees located near to your rooftop since, during a severe storm, these branches can become heavy and/or damaged and fall onto your roof causing excessive, costly damage.
Going through this checklist and performing the above actions or hiring a professional like us to do it will keep the integrity of your roof intact during Nor'easters. From your friends at Stamford Roofing Company, we wish you a safe and wonderful holiday season.